Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.
Jesus, while addressing His followers, said many times ‘to take heed’. It means to ‘pay careful attention to’.
And he said unto them, Takeheed what ye hear: with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you: and unto you that hear shall more be given.
And he charged them, saying, Take heed, beware of the leaven of the Pharisees, and of the leaven of Herod. And Jesus answering them began to say,Take heed lest any man deceive you: But take heed to yourselves: for they shall deliver you up to councils; and in the synagogues ye shall be beaten: and ye shall be brought before rulers and kings for my sake, for a testimony against them. But take ye heed: behold, I have foretold you all things.
Take ye heed, watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is.
- Pay attention to what measure you are using, and to what you are listening to.
- Be careful of the ‘leaven’ of the so-called religious people, and of people in leadership (rulers).
- Be careful not to be deceived.
- Pay careful attention, that you will be delivered up to councils, and in the ‘churches’ you will be beaten, and brought before rulers and kings for my sake, for a testimony against them.
- Pay careful attention to the fact that Jesus has already foretold these things. (It is to be expected.)
- Take notice that Jesus tells us to watch and pray; for we know not when the time is.
There are many wolves is sheep’s clothing, and the devil is like a ‘prowling lion’ waiting to devour us. We have many enemies as Christians. Be aware, be on your guard, put on the full armor, and do not be afraid. You are in God’s hands, and you are worth very much to Him.
Dear God, this is a time for us to encourage our brothers and sisters in Christ, to keep their faith and stand firm in You, and in Your mighty power. You foretold us that things would happen, because we love You. Help us to remember Your warnings and words. Many in the world will not listen to us, because they choose darkness, rather than light, but help us to be faithful ambassadors for You, and send workers for the harvest. Keep us from being deceived. Your will be done.
In the Precious name of Jesus, Amen.
Photo, with verse, from free collection of Dr. Johnson Cherian: